17 December 2010

Thouhgt for Today

Witness
Sitting here one night six floors up on my little balcony when
I heard shots and saw them boys running. My eyes went straight
to the lot beside Mason’s bar and I saw something black not
moving in the weeds and knew a body lying there and knew it
was dead. A fifteen year old boy the papers said. Whole bunch
of sirens and cops and spinning lights the night I’m talking about.
I watched till after they rolled him away and then everything got
quiet again as it ever gets round here so I’m sure the boy’s people
not out there that night. Didn’t see them till next morning when
I’m looking down at those weeds and a couple’s coming slow on
Frankstown with a girl by the hand, had to be the boy’s baby sis-
ter. They pass terrible Mason’s and stop right at the spot the boy
died. Then they commence to swaying, bowing, hugging, wav-
ing their arms about. Forgive me, Jesus, but look like they grief
dancing, like the sidewalk too cold or too hot they had to jump
around not to burn up. How’d his people find the exact spot.
Did they hear my old mind working to lead them, guide them
along like I would if I could get up out this damn wheelchair and
take them by the hand.

excerpt from Briefs by John Edgar Wideman

No comments: