10 September 2010

Thought for Today

AFFIRMATION


I believe in living

I believe in the spectrum

of Beta days and Gamma people.

I believe in sunshine.

in windmills and waterfalls,

tricycles and rocking chairs.

and i believe that seeds grow into sprouts

and sprouts grow into trees

I believe in the magic of the hands

and in the wisdom of the eyes

I believe in rain and tears

and in the blood of infinity.


I believe in life

and i have seen death parade

march through the torso of the earth,

sculpting mud bodies in its path.

I have seen the destruction of the daylight.

and seen bloodthirsty maggots

prayed to and saluted.


I have seen the kind become blind

and the blind become bind

in one easy lesson.

I have walked on cut glass.

I have eaten crow and blunder bread

and breathed the stench of indifference.


I have been locked by the lawless

handcuffed by the haters

gagged by the greedy

and, if i know any thing at all,

its that a wall is just a wall

and nothing more at all.

it can be broken down.


I believe in living.

I believe in birth.

I believe in the sweat of love

and in the fire of truth.


And i believe that a lost ship,

steered by tired, seasick sailors,

can still be guided home

to port.


Assata Shakur

No comments: